Monday, February 7, 2011

I Am In Love Part 2

It's February, so it's okay to be in love this much. So it's time for another confession.

I am bananas about the leading men of the classic musicals. They have so much talent and they're so handsome and funny and great dancers and singers. Sigh.

So I was wasting time on facebook the other day and I came across a link to a blog on one of my friend's walls. So naturally I followed it and by happen chance found a post about Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland.

Now, I have always loved Mickey Rooney, but the first time I ever saw him in a movie was Pete's Dragon, and anyone who has ever seen it knows that he is quite elderly in that particular movie. But I realized he must have been young at some point. So, I spent the rest of the day watching old Andy Hardy shows and giggling at his young cuteness.




















Isn't he just adorable?




















Dear Matt, my mom thinks you look just like him in this picture.




















Mickey and Judy. Cutest thing ever.






Next, I was watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. And oh, Howard Keel. Just.....dang. I love, love, LOVE Howard Keel's voice. It's so rich and deep. He is so manly I can't stand it.




















I mean really. Come on.


















The ability to look good clean-shaven AND as a scruffy back-woodsman is a talent possessed by very few men in this world.
















And look! He's a cowboy too!





Then I was watching Guys and Dolls. Frank Sinatra. I die and go to heaven every time that man opens his mouth. His voice is just so...perfect. Round and smooth and smiling.














I love him in On The Town. His character is so air-headed and cute.





















I think that's the kind of smile you could fall in love with at first sight.





















And this. Oh this. He looks like he's being caught in the act of doing something naughty and is going to (very easily) charm his way out of trouble.




THEN I watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Oh Dick Van Dyke. How I love that man. I have loved him ever since the first time I saw Mary Poppins when I was but a wee child. I adore his goofy faces and understated humor. He is quite wonderful.















This is one of my all-time favorite movie scenes EVER. Mostly for the face he pulls. Go look it up if you don't know what I mean.





















He just looks like an uncle, like he's about to tease you and ruffle your hair.



















And underneath all that goofiness, he's really quite handsome.





Finally, for the biggest crush I've ever had. On anyone. Ever.
(You probably think I'm kidding. I am NOT.)

I have loved him since I was about four years old. One time in class, we were playing a rhythm game where we said the names of different celebrities. Other kids threw out names like Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, and Michael Jordan.








I said Gene Kelly. :o)




















Watching him dance is pure, unadulterated entertainment. He is SO incredible!






















Ah. This is the movie in which I fell in love with him. I watched Singin' In The Rain at least once a day every day for about five years. And I never got tired of his gorgeous singing and amazing dancing.






















And completely apart from his mad serenading skills and ridiculous dance moves, he's a total heartthrob to boot.






.......ahhhh.

I feel like watching a musical.

11 comments:

Holly said...

I think I agree with everything you wrote, particularly in relation to Howard Keel and Gene Kelly. And I loved Pete's Dragon growing up and rediscovered said love when my mom bought it for me on DVD and I introduced Sam to it.

Now I want to watch a musical, too.

Carrots said...

A. Men.
No, not a man, many men!! Many attractive, wonderful men!!

Yon Soo Park said...

I gotta agree with ya on Gene Kelley. :)

Marianne said...

Somebody raised you RIGHT. <3

Melody said...

Jana and I watched Guys and Dolls the other day, and I fell in love. Again.

If you read my very first journal from when I was about 6, you'll find that I admitted my first secret crushes were Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando (circa Guys and Dolls, less so Godfather). I was devastated when I found out we were were 50 years apart. *sigh*

I totally agree with everything. What a fun post.

I'm going to watch a musical too. Leaning toward Pirates of Penzance, because Kevin Kline has some impressive vocal and dancing skills as well.

Janice Pyper said...

Ah, Katiebug.... your post warmed my heart! I, too, love all those wonderful, talented and handsome guys! And I am amazed that you, in your relative youth, are able to really appreciate them! Someone indeed raised you right, who was also raised right! ;-D

McKann said...

Brilliant. Positively brilliant.

Catie said...

Dear Kate,

I think we're kindred spirits. When I was 5 I thought I was going to marry Gene Kelly.

(This is Catie Nielson, btw.)

Kate said...

Ah Catie, I totally did too. I love that man.

Andrew said...

Dick Van Dyke is my favorite. Such a man. And Donald O'Conner rocks my socks. And I love how I'm the only guy who commented on this. =D

Kate said...

Yeah Andrew, represent! :)