Friday, August 31, 2012

Seeking Truth

The BYU music program's catch phrase is "seeking truth through great music." And let me tell you, the moments when you find it are worth whatever it took to get there. Playing it, listening to it, whatever. Great music can change lives. Isn't that extraordinary?!

So my parents, Kat, and I all just went to see Mandy Patinkin live in concert at BYU (another one of the many reason I love going to school here. Performing arts series....unbelievable.) And he sang. Oh, did he sing. It was heart-stopping. He sang with a voice straight from heaven.

Now hear me out. I love words. I love the English language. I love using it and hearing it and writing in it and learning how it works. But there are some things that it simply does not accomplish--things that music is mysteriously capable of doing. Really great music can somehow express thoughts and feelings and emotions that we haven't discovered words for yet. I don't understand it, and I can't explain it. But gosh dang it, I love music. I love everything about it.

Here, listen to this. It's Lily's Eyes from The Secret Garden. It's one of my favorite songs of all time.

There's nothing like a little bit of magic to give you a lift.

Love always,
Kate

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Magic indeed. Thank you for saying what I'm not quite smart enough to put in to words.

You are my angel of music.

XOXOXO.

Yon Soo Park said...

You did NOT see Mandy Pantinkin!! So jelly!!

I miss you and love ya! :D

-Yon Soo

Aubrey Noelle said...

Oh gosh, thank you for improving my Sunday in numerous ways :)