Sunday, September 30, 2012

On Being Comfortable With Yourself

It's not that easy being green,
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves,
When I think it could be nicer,
Being red or yellow or gold,
Or something much more colorful like that.

It's not that easy being green,
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things,
And people tend to pass you over,
Cause you're not standing out like flashy sparkles on the water,
Or stars in the sky.

But green's the color of spring, 
And green can be cool and friendly-like,
And green can be big, like an ocean,
Or important, like a mountain,
Or tall like a tree.

When green is all there is to be,
It could make you wonder why,
But why wonder? Why wonder?
I am green, and it'll do fine. It's beautiful,
And I think it's what I want to be.

It's Not Easy Being Green - Kermit the Frog

This is my last September music post, even though it's technically October now. I'm feeling vaguely sentimental about this; it's been kind of fun. Anyway, this song is particularly dear to my heart, which is why it's the last one I'm posting. It's also why I have a Kermit the Frog pillow pet on my bed right now, but that's besides the point.

Finding the good things in other people is usually easy. Not always, of course. There will always be those people that are harder to get along with than others. But generally speaking, it's a pretty straightforward thing. Finding the good in ourselves, on the other hand, seems to be something of a lifelong quest. Or at least it is for me. I am more prone to forget my strengths and talents than I am to forget about other people's. I tend to be more brutal to myself than I would ever be to anyone else. I'm not always comfortable in my own skin--I tend to focus on the bad qualities more than the good. It's moments like these that I remember Kermit, or at least I try to. 

Sometimes, I think we all feel like it could be nicer being red or yellow or gold, or something much more colorful like that. Or that we feel that people tend to pass us over, 'cause we're not standing out like flashy sparkles on the water or stars in the sky. Maybe you're not smart enough, skinny enough, pretty enough, tall enough, rich enough, strong enough, witty enough, popular enough, etc. etc. And maybe you wonder why you were given your traits or your trials. But why wonder? You need to realize--whatever you are is beautiful, and when you start to love who you are and stop fantasizing about how happy you'd be if you were someone else, you can see that beauty.

So I'll allow you two verses to muse about why you're not good enough, but the rest of the song needs to be devoted to realizing that you're just right the way you are and loving you for who you are.

Happy October, my friends. You're all lovely.

-Kate